Alambadi cow is a wonderful, indigenous breed, that originated from the Alambadi of Dharmapuri district in the southern state of Tamil Nadu in the country. This cattle breed is usually raised in the mountainous regions of modern-day Tamil Nadu. Now Alambadi’s are quite a rare breed.
Modern cattle breeders are trying hard to increase the production of milk in this traditional Indian breed. Previously, the breed was generally kept as drought cattle. The farmers across India should pledge and extend their help to conserve the Alambadi cattle.
The positive news is that the Tamil Nadu State Government has taken effective steps for the conservation of these cattle.
Alambadi cattle is almost purely a drought breed. In India, the breed is kept mainly for ploughing and pulling carts. They are rarely used for dairy farming and are not among the good milkers.
How to identify the Alambadi cow?
Alambadi cattle are tough breeds and are very useful in ploughing. These breeds can withstand all climatic conditions.
The average height of Alambadi bulls is 124 cm, while cows are 115 cm. Alambadi cattle are dark grey, grey, or black in colour and are medium-sized cattle. Colours may differ depending on the area. There are white markings on the limb, forehead, and tail of this cattle breed. Their horns are backward curving and their head is narrow.
Milk Production & Lactation
The cattle lactation period can last up to about 10 months (305 days). Alambadi cow milk yield lactation milk yield is approximately 432.30 kg. On average, an adult Alambadi bull weighs approximately 317 to 362 kg, and cows approximately 290 kg.
How to maintain the Alambadi cow?
Like all animals, they require suitable weather conditions to function at their best. Make sure they are kept under concrete walls or tin shade shelter to defend themselves from heavy rainfall, sunlight, snowfall, parasites, and frost. The house should be properly oxygenated and a clean air and water facility must be there. Cleaning should be done regularly to avoid the spreading of parasites and incubation of mosquitoes and as well as viruses. Give them proper nutrient supplements like – Protein, Calcium, Vitamin A, and Phosphorus with their food. Manage them properly and provide proper care whenever the cow gets pregnant. A good management system will ensure a healthy calf and also produces a high milk yield.
Where can I get Alambadi cow?
If you are looking to purchase Alambadi cow, pick up your mobile phone, go to the play store, and download the “Animall” app. Register yourself by verifying your phone number and then tap on the cow section where you will find different-different breeds of cow. Then filter out the Alambadi cow breed, calving, and milk capacity, and then select the best cow from the options available.
Bring home the best Alambadi cow by following these 3 easy steps`
- Enter your district or village name or Pincode.
- After entering, tap on the cow section. Here choose the breed of Alambadi cow and select the calving and milk capacity as per your preference.
- Now you will start seeing all the cows around you. You can then select any cow of your preference. Go ahead and bring your most preferred Alambadi cow to your home.
How to list my Alambadi cow for sale?
If you wish to sell your Alambadi cow, then for that also you need to install our “Animall” app. First, you need to register yourself and then go to the sell animals section. After that, enter the milk capacity, rate, and price of your Alambadi cow. After you are done filling in all the required details, your cow will be registered on the “Animall” app. Anyone interested in purchasing your cow will call you directly.
Apart from selling and purchasing cattle, you can also get all the necessary information related to all the cattle by installing our app. If your cow is not keeping well then you can directly talk to veterinary doctors through our app. You can get the verified cattle at the best quality and affordable rates and that too without paying any commission to any middleman.
Common Diseases & Treatments
Various diseases can trouble your Alambadi cow, so it is always better to take precautions. The details of the diseases and their treatments are mentioned below:-
- Reproductive Tract Infections: Diseases like BVD (Bovine Virus Diarrhoea), IBR (Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis), etc. are some of the diseases that these cattle suffer from. These diseases are not easy to treat and often lead to death in the cows. The best way to control the disease is by injecting them with antibiotics and keeping them in quarantine.
- Lameness: Foot lameness is one of the most common diseases in these breeds. As they are a draught breed their feet are most important and they have to walk miles sometimes. It can be treated by the use of anti-inflammatory drugs on the cattle.
- Digestive system disease: Diseases related to the digestive system like acidic indigestion, simple indigestion, etc.
- Treatment of acidic indigestion: Avoid feeding acidic fodder to animals. During the start of this disease, feed animals saline elements like baking soda and medicines which will help to energize their liver.
- Treatment of simple indigestion: Feed them spices which will help them to increase their hunger. Provide them feed which digests easily.
- Enteritis/Calf scours/ Diarrhoea: In this disease first, the excessive loss of water occurs then acidosis and dehydration and then the cattle die. The disease mainly occurs when cattle drink unclean water, when they are in unclean hygiene conditions, and when they are fed poorly. Treatment: proper ventilation and dry bedding are required.
Types of Jaundice :
- Jaundice because of closure of lymph nerves
- poisonous jaundice or Intrahepatic – due to liver disease
- Hemolytic jaundice or Pre hepatic – due to destruction of red blood cells.
Treatments for Jaundice :
- First, you need to find out the cause of poisonous jaundice.
- The animals that have blood pest diseases and infections, keep them away from other animals.
- Give salt solution, glucose, calcium gluconate solution, Vitamin A and C, and along with that give antibiotic medicines.
- Give animals liver tonic along with fatless and green fodder.
- During the deficiency of phosphorus, feed them sodium acid monophosphate.
Alambadi cattle are very tough and can tolerate any sort of climate. They are mainly kept for pulling carts and ploughing rather than for dairy purposes.