Originating from the state of Karnataka in India, the Hallikar cow got its name from the “Hallikar” community in the same region of Karnataka that is famous for the cattle rearing of this breed. These cattle are abundantly found in the Mysore, Hassan, Mandya, and Tumkur districts of South Karnataka.
They can be easily recognized because of the unique shape of their horns. Bending backwards on the vertical side, the horns of Hallikar cows are long and pointed. They are one of the two cattle breeds in Karnataka that are famous for being reared and taken care of by the royal patronage of Mysore. The other breed is Amrit Mahal, a breed said to have originated by crossing the Hallikar cow itself.
Hallikar cow price in India depends on various factors, such as health, age, etc. However, they are valued for being draught cows. They graze in the nearby fields and feed green fodder of finger millet, grass, pearl millet, sorghum, etc. They are specially bred for doing the physical labour in the field and pulling carts. One of the special things about this breed is that Hallikar cows have been commemorated by the Government of India by creating post stamps and stickers in the name of the cow.
How To Identify A Hallikar Cow?
Among the many features, the one thing that makes a Hallikar cow stand out in the crowd is the shape of its horns. These horns are pointed and long and are vertically bent backwards giving the breed a good height when measured altogether. They are medium-sized in body and moderate in height when measured from the shoulders and the males of this breed have large humps on their back. They are found in white to light grey as well as dark grey colours.
Milk Production & Lactation
Hallikar cows are not known to be great milkers when compared with some other breeds, however, they produce fairly enough milk. The average milk lactation of a Hallikar cow can be somewhere around 542kg. It can range from 227kg to 1134kg. The fat content in the Hallikar cow milk is about 5.7%.
How to maintain the Hallikar cow?
Like all animals, they require suitable weather conditions to function at their best. Make sure they are kept under concrete walls or tin shade shelter to defend themselves from heavy rainfall, sunlight, snowfall, parasites, and frost. The house should be properly oxygenated and a clean air and water facility must be there. Cleaning should be done regularly to avoid the spreading of parasites and incubation of mosquitoes and as well as viruses. Give them proper nutrient supplements like – Protein, Calcium, Vitamin A, and Phosphorus with their food. Manage them properly and provide proper care whenever the cow gets pregnant. A good management system will ensure a healthy calf and also produces a high milk yield.
Where can I get Hallikar cow?
If you are looking to purchase Hallikar cow, pick up your mobile phone, go to the play store, and download the “Animall” app. Register yourself by verifying your phone number and then tap on the cow section where you will find different-different breeds of cow. Then filter out the Hallikar cow breed, calving, and milk capacity, and then select the best cow from the options available.
Bring home the best Hallikar cow by following these 3 easy steps.
- Enter your district or village name or Pincode.
- After entering, tap on the cow section. Here choose the breed of Hallikar cow and select the calving and milk capacity as per your preference.
- Now you will start seeing all the cows around you. You can then select any cow of your preference. Go ahead and bring your most preferred Hallikar cow to your home.
How to list my Hallikar cow for sale?
If you wish to sell your Hallikar cow, then for that also you need to install our “Animall” app. First, you need to register yourself and then go to the sell animals section. After that, enter the milk capacity, rate, and price of your Hallikar cow. After you are done filling in all the required details, your cow will be registered on the “Animall” app. Anyone interested in purchasing your cow will call you directly.
Apart from selling and purchasing cattle, you can also get all the necessary information related to all the cattle by installing our app. If your cow is not keeping well then you can directly talk to veterinary doctors through our app. You can get the verified cattle at the best quality and affordable rates and that too without paying any commission to any middleman.
Common Diseases & Treatments
Various diseases can trouble your Hallikar cow, so it is always better to take precautions. The details of the diseases and their treatments are mentioned below:-
- Reproductive Tract Infections: Diseases like BVD (Bovine Virus Diarrhoea), IBR (Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis), etc. are some of the diseases that these cattle suffer from. These diseases are not easy to treat and often lead to death in the cows. The best way to control the disease is by injecting them with antibiotics and keeping them in quarantine.
- Lameness: Foot lameness is one of the most common diseases in these breeds. As they are a draught breed their feet are most important and they have to walk miles sometimes. It can be treated by the use of anti-inflammatory drugs on the cattle.
- Digestive system disease: Diseases related to the digestive system like acidic indigestion, simple indigestion, etc.
- Treatment of acidic indigestion: Avoid feeding acidic fodder to animals. During the start of this disease, feed animals saline elements like baking soda and medicines which will help to energize their liver.
- Treatment of simple indigestion: Feed them spices which will help them to increase their hunger. Provide them feed which digests easily.
- Enteritis/Calf scours/ Diarrhoea: In this disease first, the excessive loss of water occurs then acidosis and dehydration and then the cattle die. The disease mainly occurs when cattle drink unclean water, when they are in unclean hygiene conditions, and when they are fed poorly.
- Treatment: proper ventilation and dry bedding are required.
Types of Jaundice:
- Jaundice because of closure of lymph nerves
- poisonous jaundice or Intrahepatic – due to liver disease
- Hemolytic jaundice or Pre hepatic – due to destruction of red blood cells.
Treatment of Jaundice :
- First, you need to find out the cause of poisonous jaundice.
- The animals that have blood pest diseases and infections, keep them away from other animals.
- Give salt solution, glucose, calcium gluconate solution, Vitamin A and C, and along with that give antibiotic medicines.
- Give animals liver tonic along with fatless and green fodder.
- During the deficiency of phosphorus, feed them sodium acid monophosphate.
These cows are also known as “Mysore” cows and are regarded as the best draught cattle in the Southern region of our country. They are maintained by professional breeders as well as cultivators. Hallikar cows are considered to be one of the top draft cow breeds in the country.